Monday 3 October 2011

muzak and labels

So I'm in B&Q today shopping for the day job. Its a shop I hate going, as there's always an issue with something. I'm standing with a trolley load of plasterboard, listening to a muzak version of Diana Ross's 'I'm coming out', patiently waiting behind a pensioner with a trolley load of discounted plants, wondering how you work in an environment, where the only sensory relief is piped music. I finally pay after what seemed like an eternity, load the van, and set off. When I get back the job, I realise I've forgotten a fitting. Back I go, and finally find what I need on Aisle 14 as some random Bert Bacarach played in the background. I'm cursing the night staff for not organising the shelves better, when I finally found what I needed. Striding towards the counter, I guess the loop came back on itself, and on comes 'I'm coming out' again. I felt like I'd already spent half the day in the shop, when lo-and-behold, I'd picked out a soil pipe socket that had no label. I  returned to the aisle muttering and cursing, and as it was the last one, scribbled down the number. After standing behind another pensioner with 2 lightbulbs and lots of questions, clock ticking, I finally get what I want and go, muzak ringing in my ears. Now you know why I hate typical B&Q experiences.
I've been doing a lot of thinking recently, mostly about my art, and I came across an interesting definition yesterday on some random rubber stamping website following a 'Google'. I'm not a fan of labels, but sometimes, as today proved, it helps to have one. What caught my eye about this non-dictionary definition is the last line, a person who needs to make art in order to be fulfilled. THAT, is me! I'm glad I started this blog, and I'm glad I had to go back to B&Q today, because it was on aisle 14 I had a eureka moment, and the songs been in my head all day. In fact I'm singing it now!

♫  ♪ ♫  ♪....coming out, I want the world to know, gonna let it show... .♫  ♪  ♫  ♪  




No comments:

Post a Comment